Not being able to switch between Instagram accounts without logging in and out has been an ongoing frustration for many users. As a result we often see personal content merged with brand messages and, for many brands, this has been an impediment to actively pursue Instagram as a marketing channel. Community managers around Australia constantly note this frustration, and when we run Instagram or social media training courses, this is one of the most frequently posed challenges.
Word on the street has been that this much anticipated feature was on its way, and finally the official word was released yesterday on the Instagram Blog. Hurrah!
So, let’s look at how to activate this functionality:
- Ensure you’ve downloaded the latest version of Instagram onto your smartphone, then log out and log back in to be sure the app has been refreshed.
- Go to profile settings and click on the cog in the top right hand corner.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the settings and look for a feature called “Add Account” (third from the bottom depending on your device).
- Click Add Account and enter second, third, fourth or fifth username and password.
- The account/s should now be loaded. Scroll between accounts at the top of the page by simply clicking the down arrow (next to the cog).
Once multiple accounts have been added, profile photos should appear in places throughout the app so you can always establish which account is being used to avoid accidently posting to the wrong account.
Note: there appears to be a limit of managing five accounts simultaneously at this point, but it’s still far easier than it has been in the past!
NEWS FLASH! This is an opportunity to think about your brand’s Instagram content plan and separate “personal” from “brand” visual stories. If you’ve historically avoided setting up a business account to tell your stories via this platform, now’s the time to do it!
For more information, visit the Instagram Blog
Still wanting to optimise your Instagram performance and schedule in advance? Take a look at our other Instagram blog posts:
- 5 pro tips and the best source of Instagram for Business:
- Managing your brand’s Instagram presence with Schedu.gram
https://www.mastermindconsulting.com.au/musings/app-reviews/schedugram (note – since this article was published, a new platform called Grum has been released – it’s worth taking a look at it!)